General Motors Company engages in the manufacture and sale of cars and trucks in the United States, China, Brazil, Germany, the United Kingdom, Canada, and Italy. It offers sedans, crossovers, sport utility vehicles, pick-up trucks, coupes, sports/convertibles and hybrid vehicles, hatchbacks/wagons, and vans, as well as mini cars in India. The company also provides parts and accessories, such as iPod and MP3 compatibility, mobility accessories, performance parts, AC parts and services, and merchandise. In addition, it offers vehicle safety, security, and information services.
The company provides used vehicles. It offers its products through dealers and distributors. General Motors Company was formerly known as NGMCO, Inc. and changed its name to General Motors Company in July 2009. The company was incorporated in 2009 and is based in Detroit, Michigan. It operates manufacturing facilities in India, the United States, and Canada. General Motors Company operates as a subsidiary of United States Department of The Treasury.
General Motors led global vehicle sales for 77 consecutive years from 1931 through 2007, longer than any other automaker, and is currently among the world's largest automakers by vehicle unit sales.
General Motors acts in most countries outside the USA via wholly owned subsidiaries, but operates in China through 10 joint ventures. GM's OnStar subsidiary provides vehicle safety, security, and information services.
In 2009, General Motors shed several brands, closing Saturn, Pontiac and Hummer, and emerged from a government backed Chapter 11 reorganization. In 2010, GM made an initial public offering that was one of the world's top 5 largest IPOs to date and returned to profitability later that year.
Research Grants 534 show all
Patents 74,828show all
- 5,402F16H - Gearing
- 5,234Y02T - Climate change mitigation technologies related to transportation
- 2,958H01M - Processes or means, e.g. batteries, for the direct conversion of chemical into electrical energy
- 2,923B60R - Vehicles, vehicle fittings, or vehicle parts, not otherwise provided for
- 2,888B62D - Motor vehicles
- 2,770F16D - Couplings for transmitting rotation
- 2,724F02M - Supplying combustion engines in general, with combustible mixtures or constituents thereof
- 2,677B60K - Arrangement or mounting of propulsion units or of transmissions in vehicles
- 2,636F02D - Controlling combustion engines
- 2,119F02B - Internal-combustion piston engines
SEC Filings show all
Crunchbase Investment Rounds
|Date||Amount||Round||Valuation||Lead Investor||Other Investors|
|2011-02-01||$150,922||Grant||Fannie Mae, NYSERDA|